Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

how can i change the bank account my tax return is scheduled

Customer Question

how can i change the bank account my tax return is scheduled to be deposited in ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello thor,

Unfortunately, the IRS has no system in place for changing a direct deposit authorization.

If your refund ends up being sent to an account that is no longer in existence, the bank will return the refund to the IRS, and at that point a paper check will be mailed to the address you used when you filed your return.

If it is at all possible to keep this account open just long enough to receive your refund, then that will be the fastest way you receive your money. Otherwise you will have to wait for the refund to be returned by the bank and for a check to be issued, which could take an additional 30 days to process.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you thor.

Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again thor,

I just saw the additional information that you posted where you said the refund is scheduled to go to the wrong bank account number.

If the bank account number you listed was never your account number to begin with, then you need to notify the bank first thing tomorrow of this error. The reason is just in case the bank actually has an account that exists with the number you listed.

Even though the bank should not deposit a refund to any account that does not also have your name on it, often times they overlook this and simply deposit the refund to the account number designated. It then becomes a civil issue between you and the bank to try and get your money back. So if you notify them ahead of time of this error, hopefully they can flag that account and re-route the refund.

Thank you thor and let me know if you have more questions.