Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues

I filed a tax extension in April - we owed a total of $2,800.

I filed a tax extension in April - we owed a total of $2,800. We sent in with the extension $1,000. Shortly after that my pay was cut almost in half (I had the larger salary) and a month ago my husband was laid off. We are struggling already to make ends meet and are depleting any savings we might have. Are there ways to extend the Oct. 15 deadline or make payments?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.

Due to the amount, you would automatically be approved for an installment agreement as long as the balance could be paid off in 60 months or less with your proposed agreement. You should file all tax returns first be applying. You can apply by filing Form 9465 or by going to and click on the link there to apply for an installment agreement. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mark D