How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed a tax extension in April - we owed a total of $2,800.

Resolved Question:

I filed a tax extension in April - we owed a total of $2,800. We sent in with the extension $1,000. Shortly after that my pay was cut almost in half (I had the larger salary) and a month ago my husband was laid off. We are struggling already to make ends meet and are depleting any savings we might have. Are there ways to extend the Oct. 15 deadline or make payments?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.



Due to the amount, you would automatically be approved for an installment agreement as long as the balance could be paid off in 60 months or less with your proposed agreement. You should file all tax returns first be applying. You can apply by filing Form 9465 or by going to and click on the link there to apply for an installment agreement. Please let me know if you have further questions.




Mark D

Mark D and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you