Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
9313471

How do I get a copy of my last years tax return

Customer Question

How do I get a copy of my last years tax return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. You can get a copy of your 2008 IRS Tax Return Transcript which have about 95% of the information of your original tax return from the IRS with Form 4506T, www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf, .

Taxpayer may file jointly if on the last day of the year they are:

Married living together.

Married and living apart, but not legally separated or divorced

Separated under an interlocutory (not final) divorce decree

Any taxpayer who is married at the end of the year can elect to file separately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess my husband and I would have to agree on how we are going to file. He is not being very compliant. What if our divorce is final before the end of
December? Does that mean that we automatically have to file seperate even though everything for the whole year had been done jointly?
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
If your divorce is final before 31 December 2009 you and your husband must file single or head of household. Head of household filing status is for a taxpayer who have a qualifying child that lived with the taxpayer for more than 6 months during the year.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We don't have any children involved so we would definitely both have to file as single?
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if the divorce if final before 31 December 2009 you and your husband must file as single taxpayer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just want to make sure I am clear with all this, If we are divorced before December 31,2009, we must both file as a single taxpayer but if we are still legally married we may file either way. So we would have to agree on how we are both going to file. What would be in my best interest? He makes alot more money than I do. I make about 45 K compared to his 70 K.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
aRE WE DONE?
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.

Do you own a home with a mortgage? Do you have large medical expenses?