How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Re Aquisition of property in foreign countries. Exactly what

Customer Question

Re: Aquisition of property in foreign countries. Exactly what is the tax implication. If wife files separately in USA and the husband is subject to taxation in his own country. But the property is in neither country. Part of the monies come from each. What can this involve?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello taxation,

If the wife is a US citizen, then she is subject to US tax on her income worldwide. She has the choice of filing a separate return on her own or filing a joint return with her spouse.

If the properties in the foreign country are strictly in the name of the husband, and if the husband is not a US citizen and does not file a joint return with his wife in the US, the none of the income generated from the properties would be reportable by the wife. If her name is XXXXX XXXXX a joint owner of the properties, then she would have to report her share of the income from the property, regardless of where the property is located.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you taxation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not yet clear enough. This country forceably will include the wife's rights for all property purchases; by law both spouses will be included whether her name is XXXXX XXXXX buyers contract or not. Now if wife's name does not appear on the written document as this is possible, will wife be liable to taxation in USA for the foreign property?
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello taxation,

Can you please elaborate a little more on just what type of investment property this will be and what type of income it will be generating?

Will the income from the property actually be paid to the husband alone or to both the husband and wife jointly?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Apartment property - with income of $1,200 - $1, 500 monthly, or it could be sold for profit turnaround and reinvestment in land property only. Second apartment purchase has no income, it is for personal use.
There has been no income gain thus far. Purchase was in 2008 with fix-up problem. This was an investment from wife's inheritance. If you wish to call me: (NNN) NNN-NNNNroom 419. Investment on trading market were falling so the purchases were done to cover the loss. Let me know if you will call pls.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again taxation,

I apologize, but under the terms of the JA website we are not allowed to communicate with the customers other than through this forum.

But due to the nature of your question, I believe it will be better for me to put your question back on the open board to see if there is another expert in the forum who might be more familiar with international tax issues, who can address your specific situation.

In the meantime, simply do not hit the Accept button, and the deposit you made will remain in your account until you receive an answer.

Once someone has responded with an answer, you will receive an email notification from JA.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I must step away for 1/2 hr for dinner. Then will return. Perhaps I need to supply JA with more detail.
If you need more time I will be also be here in the morning early. I lam willing to reply to any question. I can tell you the investment was around $205,000 from Wife's side.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience