RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

Hi. I am a real estate professional with three properties under

Customer Question

Hi. I am a real estate professional with three properties under development (rental, remodel, etc) and I want to know if I file a schedule c for my company (shetland real estate) or just schedule E for each of the properties. I want to be able to take business deductions as well as the standard property deductions.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 5 years ago.
Your tax accountant is right. All the expenses related to the property remodelling will be capitalized to the cost of the property. When you sell the property - you will expense that as part of the cost of the property.

For rental property- you will capitalize the expense and depreciate the property reporting it on Sch E.

Routine operational expense not related to remodeling of the property such office expense, utilties, admin staff etc can be expensed on Sch C.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks so much. that was really helpful. I just have one other point of clarification. I did not accept your fee yet, as i thought that might have ended the session, but i certainly will do it. does my acceptance create an end of our session? I have never used this before.

So here is the other question. My tax accountant says that if I file a "c" with no "profit" as the "profit" will all be on "e" that it will be a tip off to the IRS for audit. Similarly, if i file for any home office expense, that will also be a tip off and that will trigger an audit. I see his point as the "C" expenses do appear to be "pass through". In 2008 for instance, i had one rental property (creating income on e) and two alternate properties that i was "developing", looking at, researching, getting ready to buy. Ultimately, I did buy in 2009.

Also, can you address my other question on my first set of questions, which was "on schedule c, i must identify my business in a category on line A, which is a code. The code I think that i would put is 531390, which is in the real estate category: Other activities related to real estate. I am leasing some properties and developing others.

Ok, so i think that is it and i will definitely pay your fee. thanks for your help. Is there every a way i could initiate another session and get back to you? thanks. thayer
Expert:  RD replied 5 years ago.
Acceptance does not end the session. You can ask any question or clarification you may need.

On Sch E- the rental income will be reported. Any gain or loss on sale of the property will be reported on Sch C when you sell the property for profit. Expenses related to rental property will be reported on Sch E and related to other activity on Sch C. Loss on Sch C for a year or 2 will not trigger an audit if the expenses are incurred in ordinary course of business and not of the nature that needs to be capitalized with cost of the property that you are developing. You will not be able to claim home office expense until you have profit on Sch C. The home office expense will be carried forward.

The code you mentioned on Sch C is right.

You can initiate other session and request me on the post as FOR RD.

Let me know if you have any question.