Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I have been receiving payment from a sign manufacturer located

I have been receiving payment from a sign manufacturer located in Wichita, Ks for the installation of their signs in hotels and other public buildings. All of this work has been outside the state of New Mexico. As an independent contractor, do I owe New Mexico gross receipts tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello djackson,

You would not owe NM gross receipts tax on services that you are being paid to perform, even if those services were performed inside the state.

NM gross receipts tax only applies to businesses that sell or lease goods, similar to a sales tax. It does not apply to income that you receive as an independent contractor.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you djackson, and let me know if you have more questions.