How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I began working in Iraq on 3/15/08, I will spend 16 days on

This answer was rated:

I began working in Iraq on 3/15/08, I will spend 16 days on vacation in the USA between 3/15/09 and 3/15/10. I am employed by the state dept and have taxes taken out. Am I elegible for the out of country tax free benefit?

As long as you are out of the country for a total of 330 days in any 12 month consecutive period, then you qualify to claim the foreign earned income exclusion which is currently $91,400.

If you started working in Iraq on 3/15/08, then as of 2/15/09 you would have met that qualification if you did not come back to the US at any point during that time. If during the period 3/15/09 to 3/15/10 you plan to come back to the US for vacation or visits, as long as your time here does not exceed 35 days, then you will still continue to qualify for this exclusion.

As far as the Wash DC taxes, you will simply need to file a return with DC as a non resident and report zero taxable wages, show the tax that was withheld, and a refund will be issued to you.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you dnjmario.
Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you