Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

If i have a home business, how will it effect my property taxes,

If i have a home business, how will it effect my property taxes, and will the tax assessor need to know?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
When you say you have a home business, do you mean that you just work from home and use a portion of your home as your office?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I use a portion of the downstairs for an office. I do not have clients over to my house.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Using a portion of your home as an office would have no effect on your property taxes. The only way your property taxes would increase is if your home were re-classified as commercial property, and simply having an office in your home would not qualify it to be classified as commercial property.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.