Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I just received a lawsuit settlement for breach-of-contract.

I just received a lawsuit settlement for breach-of-contract. The entire sum will be credited to me on an IRS1099, but the attorney feed is a 1/3 contingency. How do I recover the attorney fee taxes, Schedule A, C, other, and is the entire tax liability for the attorney fee recoverable?
Hello mrdaud,

The legal fees are deductible on Schedule A as part of your itemized deductions.

They are reported as a miscellaneous deduction, and deductions in that category must exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income before the excess can be claimed. The amount which exceeds 2% of your AGI will then become part of your itemized deductions and will reduce the taxable income you report from the settlement by that amount.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-mssp/a9lawsut.pdf

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you mrdaud.