Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

What happens when a judgment has been on file for more than

Customer Question

What happens when a judgment has been on file for more than 20 years. The IRS has a 10 year collection statute which prevents them from collecting on a devt provided the taxpayer hasn't taken certain actions to extend the statute, i.e bankruptcy, Offer on Compromise, etc.
10 years and it's done. In other words does a judgment expire after 20 years if it is not refiled ?

Thank you...vic
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. The IRS has ten years to collect taxes. The ten years begins from the assessment date of the tax. The assessment date is available from IRA Account Transcript. To get a copy of your Account Transcript go to
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I know about the IRS statute. It was in my question and I also used to work for them. My question is about NJ judgments 20 years after the docket date. If the judgment is not

refiled is the taxpayer still subject to collection action ? If 20 years has gone by what happens when the taxpayer goes to sell property in NJ ? Is he/she able to convey good

title ? Does NJ have a collection statute similar to IRS ? Again my question concerns the life and enforceability of NJ judgments, not the IRS collection expiration date.

Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
Is the NJ judgment for state income tax due? If yes, what year was the return filed?