Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am a diabetic. Can I purchase a laptop computer dedicated

I am a diabetic. Can I purchase a laptop computer dedicated to running a "Diabetic Management" software program---and write it off to taxes as a medical expense?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer
There is a long list of items that are allowed for Medical Expenses.
The only use of a computer (specifically listed ) is:

"You can include in medical expenses amounts paid to a plan that keeps medical information in a computer data bank and retrieves and furnishes the information upon request to an attending physician. "

Your pupose does not meet this requirement as described by your question.

I thought that purhaps your software might fall under another catogory;

Diagnostic Devices
You can include in medical expenses the cost of devices used in diagnosing and treating illness and disease.

Example.

You have diabetes and use a blood sugar test kit to monitor your blood sugar level. You can include the cost of the blood sugar test kit in your medical expenses.

This is the IRS definition of a Medical Expense:

Medical expenses are the costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and the costs for treatments affecting any part or function of the body. They include the costs of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes. They also include dental expenses.

I would not advise you to use the expense and certainly not the entire cost of the laptop. On the other hand, if your doctor is saying that you are required to have this as a diagnostic tool or a device that will assist in your treatment then you would be advised to get a written statement from the doctor if you choose to claim the software program.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,