Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I have been offered 16,000.00 for sale of mineral rights..what

I have been offered 16,000.00 for sale of mineral rights..what would the tax be on this..I am 69 and work part time

Royalties from oil, gas, and mineral properties are taxable as ordinary income.

You generally report royalties in Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040). However, if you hold an operating oil, gas, or mineral interest or are in business as a self-employed writer, inventor, artist, etc., report your income and expenses on Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040).

If you sell your complete interest in mineral rights, the amount you receive is considered payment for the sale of section 1231 property, not royalty income. Under certain circumstances, the sale is subject to capital gain or loss treatment on Schedule D (Form 1040).

The gain is calculated as (selling price) - (basis)

If you owned the property more than a year - the gain will be taxed at reduced tax rate - not more than 15%.

State tax income tax (if any) would be extra.

Let me know if you need any help.