Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I have not filed a tax return for a few years and received

Customer Question

I have not filed a tax return for a few years and received a Notice of Deficiency for a couple of those years. Each year I filed an extension and made all or partial estimated payment. The IRS filed for me as married filing separately & 1 exemption which I understand is standard. I'm not going to be able to get all the information I need to file the returns before the 90 days. I plan on filing a petition to buy more time to get my passed returns together. When filing a petition, can I dispute the exemptions? What exactly can I dispute without having the final numbers to say I don't owe that much? In the notice, the IRS did leave out my payments submitted when I filed the extensions.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

The IRS doesn't file your tax return, but calculates your tax liability based on some information they have - that would not constitute the filing of the tax return.

If you did not file your tax return - you should file it and calculate your tax liability regardless of previous IRS calculations. Most likely - your calculations will provide better tax refund - because the IRS usually do not worry about any deductions or credits.

Regardless of your filing status - you will have one exemption for yourself if nobody could claim you as a dependent.

Additional exemptions should be added for each dependent you claim on your tax return - see for reference form 1040 lines 6 (a)-(d) - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

I would suggest to prepare your tax return for each year you did not file the tax return and calculate your tax liability or refund.

You may have a local tax preparer to help you or verify your filing.

There is nothing to dispute unless the IRS would not agree with some numbers on your tax return - so just send them to the IRS and we will hope that everything will be good.

Let me know if you need any help.