Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

My husband filed a false joint return in 2004. I have no

My husband filed a false joint return in 2004. I have no information about the return, and the IRS refused to supply it. We separated and filed for divorce in 2001. He died in 2007 and left only debt.

The IRS is telling me I owe 15,000.00
What do I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello Elizabeth,

Did you file your own return for the 2004 tax year?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I had filed joint returns with my husband in 2001 and 2002. In 2003 I agreed to sign the one that he had had prepared. In 2004 I told him to do his own taxes. I knew I owed nothing because I was basically living off my mother, with 3 kids and less than 5,000.00 in income.
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
So on the return that he filed in 2004, did you sign that return?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO. I never saw it.
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello again Elizabeth,

What you will need to do is respond to the IRS with a letter stating that you had no knowledge of your ex husband filing a joint return in your name. You should also include a copy of your divorce decree showing that you were divorced prior to that tax year.

I would also include an explanation as to why you did not file your own return for that year, telling them that you did not have enough income which required you to file.

Once the IRS receives this documentation, you should be relieve of any tax bill they are trying to collect from you.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Elizabeth.

Merlo, Accountant
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already done this . They still want the money.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a way to find a person who can help me?
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello again Elizabeth,

I think perhaps you need to ask to speak to someone who is higher up than the person you are currently dealing with at the IRS. If you were not legally married to this man in 2004 and you did not sign this return, they cannot hold you responsible for this tax.

You may also want to consider contacting the Taxpayers Advocate Service. This is a free service offered by tax advocates who can act as an intermediary on your behalf when you are having problems with the IRS. They may be able to get your problem to the proper person in a more timely manner and get you a quicker resolution on this. Here is a link to a website where you can find the number for the Tax Advocate office in your area.

http://www.irs.gov/advocate/content/0,,id=150972,00.html

Thank you Elizabeth.

Merlo, Accountant