How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If our AGI is over 150,000, what can we contribute for a roth

This answer was rated:

If our AGI is over 150,000, what can we contribute for a roth IRA. We are just over that and it seems we cannot save anything for retirement.

If your filing status is married filing jointly, then you can each contribute $5,000 ($6,000 if age 50 or older) to a Roth IRA as long as your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is less than $166,000.,,id=202518,00.html


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if i am just over the 166000 this year I cannot have a roth so what are ways to lower my MAGI besides morgatge interest

If your MAGI is just over $166,000 but less than $176,000 then you can still contribute to a Roth IRA but the amount you can contribute is reduced. For example, if your MAGI is $167,000 then you could contribute $4,500 instead of $5,000.


If you or your spouse are eligible to make elective deferrals to an employer sponsored retirement plan such as a 401(k) or 403(b) plan and are not deferring the maximum amounts permitted, then if you increase your salary deferrals you will in turn reduce your MAGI.


Bill and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you