Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

I have had a home based business for years and deduct part

Customer Question

I have had a home based business for years and deduct part of the mortgage, etc. on my tax return.

My husband is now self-employed and does the bookkeeping and other things at home. There is no other office or permanent place of business as he does residential and commercial maintenance and repair.

Is he also allowed a home deduction on his schedule C? Or is it only one of us can take that deduction?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
Thank you for using justanswer. The following is qoted from Publication 587 (2008), Business Use of Your Home

"The same home office can be the principal place of business for two or more separate business activities. Whether your home office is the principal place of business for more than one business activity must be determined separately for each of your trade or business activities. You must use the home office exclusively and regularly for one or more of the following purposes.
  • As the principal place of business for one or more of your trades or businesses.

• As a place to meet or deal with patients, clients, or customers in the normal course of one or more of your trades or businesses.

• If your home office is a separate structure, in connection with one or more of your trades or businesses.

You can use your home office for more than one business activity, but you cannot use it for any nonbusiness (personal) activities."

Based on the information you provided, I see no problem with both you and your husband claiming an office in the home deduction as long as you meet the above stated criteria.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This doesn't really answer my question.

We use 14% of our house for a home business office. So I deduct 14% of our mortgage, insurance and utilities on my schedule C

Can my husband also deduct 14% for his business; therefore in effect claiming a 28% deduction on our joint tax return?
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
Since you would be using the same 14%, you each claim half, or 7%,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.