Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

In 2005, my brother and his family were living at my mothers

In 2005, my brother and his family were living at my mother's house in Oregon. As she was supporting them all - she filed her taxes showing that she was supporting her grand daughter.   The IRS agreed and gave her a refund based on that fact. No one in my brother's family was working. Now, in 2009, my (now ex-) sister-in-law is suing her in small claims court for that refund. Is that allowed? A

Your sister-in-law may not sue your mother for the mother's refund - that refund belonged to your mother - she may only sue for damages resulted by improper actions.

If your mother lawfully claim a child as a dependent - there i s no improper action from her side.

If your sister-in-law thinks that she is entitled to a refund - she should file a tax return and request a refund from the IRS.

Please see the IRS publication 501 for rules for claiming a dependent -

In additional - your sister-in-law should consider the statute of limitation to claim a refund - that is generally three years from the date the refund was due.

Thus - 2005 tax refund was due on Apr 15, 2006 and the statute of limitation run out of Apr 15, 2009 - that means - if your sister-in-law decides now to claim her refund from the IRS - she will not get any refund even if it was due.

While I think that chances for your sister-in-law to win are slim - your mother should be prepared for the court.

Let me know if you need any help.