Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

My federal tax was filed electronicly with Turbo Tax. IRS

Customer Question

My federal tax was filed electronicly with Turbo Tax. IRS keeps rejecting it because my tax ID is wrong but I used my SS number and don't know what I'm doing wrong. What did I do wrong?
Submitted: 5 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello liz,

Have you ever gone by a different name than your current name?

Are you using a hyphenated last name, such as both your maiden name and married name?

Did you check to make sure that the spelling of your name is XXXXX XXXXX that the SS number you entered is correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, to all 3 questions.
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello again liz,

One more question please. Is this the first year you are filing electronically, or have you e-filed in previous years with no problems?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Previously I had my taxes prepared by a tax preparer but this year my daughter di them.
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
When you had your taxes prepared by the tax preparer, did he e-file for you or did you mail in the returns?

On the rejection notice that you received, was there an error code # XXXXX to you? If so, what was that code number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, he e-filed. There was no error code #.
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello again liz,

I am afraid I have exhausted all of the normal possibilities that this can happen.

When you electronically file a return, if the spelling of your name does not exactly match what is shown on the SS records which the IRS has on file for you, the return will be rejected. This would apply to both you and your spouse if you are filing a return as a married person.

If you are claiming any children or other dependents on your return, the spelling of their names and their SS numbers must also match the SS records which the IRS has on file for you.

There are many times when even though you are reporting the correct spelling of your name and the correct SS number for both you and your dependents, the records that the IRS have may not match due to mis-information which was supplied to them by Social Security. However, if your returns have been accepted in past years and you have filed the exact same information in past years, then this should not be an issue.

Unfortunately there is really no option to fix this problem, if none of the above situations apply to you. You cannot fix something when there is no apparently error, and you would have no choice now but to file your return by mail.

Again, I would double check just to make sure that no typograhical errors were made in the spelling of your name or your spouse's name or the names of your dependents, and that there were no typographical errors made in the social security numbers which were keyed in. If there are errors in those entries, then correcting them should enable you to complete your electronic filing. But if no such errors exist, you would now have to file your return by mail.

In the meantime you may also want to contact the Social Security Administration to verify what they have on record for you as far as the spelling of your name and your SS number. The IRS receives their information from SS, so if SS has an error, then the IRS would also have incorrect information on file. So that is your starting point to get this corrected so that you may e-file in future years.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you liz, and let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help you with whatever I can.