Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

In Texas, if I inherit 100% of the mineral rights to a property

In Texas, if I inherit 100% of the mineral rights to a property but only 50% of the surface rights and 50% of the property of the estate, do I own 100% of the existing oil pumped but not yet sold at the time of my father's death?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Oil pumped is associated with the mineral rights - starting with the time you took ownership of the mineral rights - you would owned all oil pumped.

The oil pumped before you became an owned of the mineral rights - is inventory - who inherited inventory - should be decided separately by the estate administrator according to your father's will.

Also the basis of inventory would be stepped up basis - a fair market value at the time your father died - that is very important - because there will not be any taxable gain from selling the inventory.