Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

i was married and i claimed three, but now i am seperated and

i was married and i claimed three, but now i am seperated and i havent changed my claim on dependents, i wanted to know how much more taxes will be taken from me if i change my claim to just one.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If you are changing your W-4 form that you provide to the payroll person on your job - - the filing depends how you are going to file your tax return.

If you will file as "married filing separate" - and will not claim any dependents - you need to check the box - "Single" - see the note on the form - If married, but legally separated, check the “Single” box.

For yourself - you would need to claim two allowances.

Your tax withholding depends on the amount you are paid and how are you paid - weekly/biweekly.

Let me know if you need help with estimations.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i want to file single so i should claim two on my paychecks to avoid owing too much back?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If you take a look at the worksheet attached to the form W-4 - you will see, that you should choose one allowance as you are single and one allowance because nobody will claim you as a dependent - total two.

So your normal filing would be Single with two allowances.

However because you are changing withholding in the middle of the year - you might want larger withholding to cover the past time - you may consider to choose zero allowances for 2009 and change it to two starting 2010.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is there a percent of tax taken away from me per allowance removed? if i would change to zero right now how much more tax would be removed from my paycheck this year?

Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

One allowance is associated with additional $3650 taxable income (for 2009) - there is no any predefined percentage.

The actual withholding is based on your wages - the more you are paid - the higher withholding percentage.

Your payroll person is using tables published by the IRS.

If you file zero instead of two allowances - that will give the same result as you have $7300 less in deduction.