Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

we have been doing a lot of Home Improvement projects, new

we have been doing a lot of Home Improvement projects, new patio covers, new carpet, paint, new fence, relandscaping flower beds, my question is are any of these expenses tax write offs, or deductables, I've heard if its an energy efficient improvement you can write those off, but not sure, thanks for your help....Beckyd

All home improvements should be classified either as repair or improvements.

Improvement expenses are added to the basis of the property and eventually will reduce the capital gain of the property at the time it will be sold - so you might need to keep a good record for improvement expenses.

Repair expenses may not be deducted.

The situation is different if you use the property for business or rental - in this case all business related expenses might be deductible.

In additional - you may claim a credit for costs relating to residential energy property expenses if you make energy-conscious purchases - please see eligible purchases and qualifications here -

Let me know if you need any help.