Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

i work for a city water dept. i have had pretax annunity money

Customer Question

i work for a city water dept. i have had pretax annunity money come out of my payroll for 15 years
can the city change how much comes out of my payroll without my permission?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Certain items that are taken out pretaxed are available to be changed during open enrollment. Open Enrollment for most companies occurs in conjunction with the fiscal year of the company, governments too.

Many times companies will send out a notice that if you do not respond by a certain time then changes will be made on your behalf. An individual simply by not responding, has made a choice for change.

Any time that a change occurs with an individual's pay, I always advise to first check with payroll or human resources first. Many times people find out that a simple mistake has happened and the payroll department can make any corrections needed.

My advice is to check with payroll and find out if your withholding is correct.They will be able to advise on all items and if you missed a chance to update your withholding then they can take care of that for you.

I did find that in Iowa,

Deductions at a rate determined by the Iowa State Legislature are made from each employee's check. So it appears that a change to the annuity amount was determined.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information is helpful ,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what if i got no notice of the change?
can they legally change it?
did they break any known laws?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

If the legislature changed the rate , which it appears they have based on the change in your withholding, then yes they can do this at their discretion.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was never notifyed o f the changes
the only reason i found out was because our new insurance on our cafeteria plan did not add up?
should not be legal to change this without telling me
makes me nervous
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Since this si a state regulated annuity the legislature can make the changes without consent. Perhaps you can register your concerns with your representative.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i work for a city not a state
i was told i have to sign off for changes
is this correct?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Changesto other things, like insurance or if you have child care taken out pretaxed and then reimbursed to you yes, you must authorize the amounts. The annuity is paid into a state program and added to city and state monies for investment to have a larger amount and in theory make more money for the contributors.

Ask your payroll department if your city employees are paying into the state annuity for employees.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we are not talking about the state fund like ipers?
this is my own money from my payroll that i chose and own to put into an annuity
i chose where it goes and how much
my payroll city clerk will not always tell the truth its politics and cover ups
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you have not told me anything i did not already know

i still do not think you are uderstanding the question
thanks anyway