How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13022
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i work for a city water dept. i have had pretax annunity money

Customer Question

i work for a city water dept. i have had pretax annunity money come out of my payroll for 15 years
can the city change how much comes out of my payroll without my permission?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.


Certain items that are taken out pretaxed are available to be changed during open enrollment. Open Enrollment for most companies occurs in conjunction with the fiscal year of the company, governments too.

Many times companies will send out a notice that if you do not respond by a certain time then changes will be made on your behalf. An individual simply by not responding, has made a choice for change.

Any time that a change occurs with an individual's pay, I always advise to first check with payroll or human resources first. Many times people find out that a simple mistake has happened and the payroll department can make any corrections needed.

My advice is to check with payroll and find out if your withholding is correct.They will be able to advise on all items and if you missed a chance to update your withholding then they can take care of that for you.

I did find that in Iowa,

Deductions at a rate determined by the Iowa State Legislature are made from each employee's check. So it appears that a change to the annuity amount was determined.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information is helpful ,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what if i got no notice of the change?
can they legally change it?
did they break any known laws?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

If the legislature changed the rate , which it appears they have based on the change in your withholding, then yes they can do this at their discretion.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was never notifyed o f the changes
the only reason i found out was because our new insurance on our cafeteria plan did not add up?
should not be legal to change this without telling me
makes me nervous
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.


Since this si a state regulated annuity the legislature can make the changes without consent. Perhaps you can register your concerns with your representative.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i work for a city not a state
i was told i have to sign off for changes
is this correct?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.


Changesto other things, like insurance or if you have child care taken out pretaxed and then reimbursed to you yes, you must authorize the amounts. The annuity is paid into a state program and added to city and state monies for investment to have a larger amount and in theory make more money for the contributors.

Ask your payroll department if your city employees are paying into the state annuity for employees.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we are not talking about the state fund like ipers?
this is my own money from my payroll that i chose and own to put into an annuity
i chose where it goes and how much
my payroll city clerk will not always tell the truth its politics and cover ups
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you have not told me anything i did not already know

i still do not think you are uderstanding the question
thanks anyway

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience