How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello- I am giving you the situation as I understand it. My

Resolved Question:

I am giving you the situation as I understand it.
My brother, who lives overseas, is in a position to help my sister buy a house here in Colorado. My sister would occupy the house with her husband and my aging father, who needs care.
My brother lives in Hong Kong and does not file Federal taxes, as he is not in the US more than 28 days yearly.
My sister currently owns a house in Idaho and would sell it, but could not qualify for the house here on her own. My brother could get a loan on his income. The idea is t hat they would both be on the title.
So, beyond property taxes, which my sister would pay, would my brother be liable for any Colorado taxes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello chris,

Is your brother who lives overseas a US citizen?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.


this may or may not be relevant. He and his wife are divorcing. She lives in Texas, which is the last stateside place he lived (Austin)..about five years ago.

Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again chris,

If your brother is a US citizen, then he should be filing a tax return every year with the US, regardless of whether or not he ever spends any time at all in this country. As a US citizen, he is subject to tax on his income worldwide, regardless of where he lives. If he resides in a foreign country for a period of 330 days in a 12 month consecutive period, then he does qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, which is currently $91,400. What that means is that he would file a return with the US and report his earnings from overseas, but he could then exclude that amount from his earnings before the rest would be subject to tax.

I realize that is not the questioned that you initially asked, but I did want to point this out to you just in case your brother is not aware of this requirement.

As far as the house that he wishes to buy for your sister, there would be no taxes involved for him doing this, other than the property taxes, which you indicated that your sister would be paying. The only time that a taxable event will occur is if and when the house is ever sold. When the house is sold, if your sister is listed as one of the owners and she actually lives in the home as her main residence, then she will be allowed to exclude part or all of any gain they may have from the sale. However, if there is still excess gain after the allowed exclusion, then both your brother and your sister (assuming both names are XXXXX XXXXX title) would be liable for capital gains tax to the IRS and also state income tax to Colorado.

The only exception to this would be if your brother intends to charge rent to your sister. If your brother receives rental income, then he would be liable to report that income and pay both taxes at both the federal and state level. However, if your sister will not be paying rent to your brother, then he has no tax liability here until the home is sold.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you chris, and please let me know if you need any further clarification on your question.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you