Bill, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice

I work for an airline that went bankrupt and reorganized.

I work for an airline that went bankrupt and reorganized. On Dec 23, 2008 the worker, retiree, and employer recovery act of 2008 was signed into law. Under section 125 of the act it allows certain active and former airline employees to contribute certain bankruptcy related payments to a roth ira. The act provides that any such contribution will be treated as if it were a rollover contribution from a qualified plan, except that any otherwise applicable income or contribution amount restrictions will not apply. The amount that may be contributed to a roth ira under the act is limited to he taxable portion of an eligible payment. I have form 8935 from the airline, 59,000 was paid in 2007 that applies to this... Question..I can take 59,000 out of the bank and put it in a roth ira... or I can transfer 59,000 from my 401k to a roth ira with no tax consequences?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

Yes you can move funds from your bank account to the Roth IRA. No, you will not be able to move the funds from the your 401(k) to the Roth IRA.

See page 66 -