Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

If Im considering getting an energy efficient product or system

If I'm considering getting an energy efficient product or system this year, are there specific items that will be eligible for a tax credit on my 2009 tax return?
HelloCustomer

Yes, there are a number of energy credits that have been reinstated for the 2009 and 2010 tax years.

The credit is equal to 30% of your cost on qualified energy improvements, up to a maximum credit of $1,500.

These credits cover qualifying improvements made to windows, doors, insulation, roofs, HVAC systems, and water heaters. I am giving you a link to Energy Star's website which shows in more detail the products that qualify for this credit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you anne, and please let me know if you have more questions.