Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

i filed my 2008 return, received a refund, then found an error

i filed my 2008 return, received a refund, then found an error that would have given me a larger return, what can i do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello leapyr,

That is a relatively easy thing to correct.

All you need to do is file an amended return. This is done by filing Form 1040X with the IRS. Amended returns cannot be electronically filed, so you will have to submit your amended return by mail.

Amended returns generally take anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks to process, but once your amended return is processed, the IRS will send you another check for any additional refund which you are due.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you leapyr, and let me know if you have additional questions.