Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I have had 2 clients who filed 1040s in April, 2009 for 2008

Customer Question

I have had 2 clients who filed 1040s in April, 2009 for 2008 get unexplained refunds of $3000 just in the last week - I have checked over their returns and found no computational errors - Has anyone else gotten these mysterioous refunds?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello cpatx,

I am in this forum on a daily basis, and see all of the tax questions that come through this board. But no one in this forum has posted anything about a similar issue, and none of my personal clients have come to me with a similar issue.

As I am sure you know, typically when the IRS makes an adjustment on a taxpayer's return, they will also receive a notice that explains why the adjustment was made, so I am surprised that your clients apparently did not also get an explanation for this adjustment.

Obviously there is not much I can suggest to you at this point other than calling the IRS for an explanation. If they simply keep the money and it ends up being a refund that was issued in error, then they will not only have to pay back the money, but would also owe interest. So it would be better for them to find out now if this is really money they get to keep and what the reason was for the adjustment.

Maybe this helps partially explain why we have a trillion dollar deficit!

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you cpatx, and let me know if you have more questions, although I am not sure what else to suggest at this point.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your answer is exactly what I've been doing for over 30 years of tax practice - I was just trying to find out if anyone else has gotten this unforeseen refund - I 've had this happen in the past when the IRS had some glitch in their processing progam and was just tryimg to find out if this was starting up again.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Good morning cpatax,

I am not aware of any glitches at this time. And I do not believe anyone else here in this forum is.

After you posted your question the other day, I checked with a few of the other experts here in the forum to see if they had run across any similar situations, but they were not aware of anything in particular and have not had similar experiences with their clients.

It is awfully odd that you would have two clients that were paid the same exact amount on an over refund. But if there were some sort of glitch, I think at least someone here in the forum would have heard about it by now. We get hundreds of questions through this forum, so I have to believe that someone else would have posted by now if this was an ongoing issue.