Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

My Mom and Dad have both passed away and left the house to

Customer Question

My Mom and Dad have both passed away and left the house to 6 siblings. It was stated in there Will to sell the house and split any profits 6 ways. Do we have to pay capital gains tax on the money we receive from the sale of the house? It was part of our inheritance stated in there Will.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. Sorry for your loss. The basis of property acquired from a decedent is generally the fair market value on the date of the decedent's death. If the home is sold for more than the value of the property at the date of your parents death the gain is taxed as long-term capital gain.

Example: If you parents home was worth $100,000 when they passed and you sold the home for $110,000 you must report a long-capital gain in the amount of $10,000.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the house was sold for less than the apraisal which was done when my Mom passed away will we still have to claim a long-term capital gain tax?
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
If the house is sold for less than the appraisal value at the time of your parents death there is no gain on the sale and no long-term capital gain is due.