Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I paid all expenses for my church to record a music CD - studio

I paid all expenses for my church to record a music CD - studio time, engineers fees are these expenses tax deductible?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Generally, you can deduct your contributions of money or property that you make to, or for the use of, a qualified organization. A gift or contribution is "for the use of" a qualified organization when it is held in a legally enforceable trust for the qualified organization or in a similar legal arrangement.

The contributions must be made to a qualified organization and not set aside for use by a specific person.

If you give property to a qualified organization, you generally can deduct the fair market value of the property at the time of the contribution.

It would have been better if you had given the money tot he church and let the church pay for their own expenses but as long as you have something in writting from the church acknowledgeing your gift and the amount paid ten you should be able to claim the charitable gift on your return.

I hope this information is helpful to you,