Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I live in the state of WA and get paid for working in the state

I live in the state of WA and get paid for working in the state of WA. I have a rental in OR that I am considering moving into. If I decide to live in OR and still get paid in WA will OR have any rights to taxing my income? In other words does it matter where you live or work when it comes to getting taxed on income?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

There are two basis principles for taxing the income - based on the income source and based on the residency of the recipient of the income.

If you are working in WA - that income is considered from WA sources and generally would be taxable on WA state tax return - however - Washington is one of a few states that does not tax individual wage income - so lucky you - that income is not taxable.

If you will become a resident of OR - your income would be taxable as for a resident - regardless of the income source - and your WA wages - will be taxable for Oregon.

Oregon has three income tax rates: for instance for single taxpayer - you will pay 5% on the first $2,900 of taxable income; 7% on income between $2,900 and $7,300.
and 9% on income above $7,300.

Let me know if you need any help.