Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Is Loss on the sale of Real Estate Tax Deductable

Customer Question

Is Loss on the sale of Real Estate Tax Deductable?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello Baron,

The loss is deductible if it was investment property and the sale was not made to a related party.

Loss on the sale of a personal residence is not deductible.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Baron.

Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

I really do not appreciate that you left me negative feedback saying this was not the answer you hoped for. I do not write the laws or the IRS tax regulations. I am only here to help people who have questions about tax issues, and have no control over what the laws are.

I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX if you would take the time to send customer service an email [email protected] and ask them to remove this from my record. It is really not fair to me, as I did nothing wrong. I was only attempting to help answer the question you asked, and your negative feedback has a negative effect on my standings with this website. I don't think you would appreciate someone doing this to you for something you had no control over, and I would appreciate your help in removing this from my record.

I understand you are upset with the laws, but this is not something I have any control over.

Thank you Baron.