MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.

Have a business that closed it s doors 4/30/09. Now working

Have a business that closed it s doors 4/30/09. Now working as a wage earner at approximately 30% less income with somebody else. I owe IRS $15,000.00 for 2007 and 2008. (95% of this amount owed is self employment tax) I owe former wife $15000.00 in unpaid alimony.
I want to consider giving ex wife free and clear business assets for the unpaid alimony which will translate as payment to her which is deductable. I am estimating my 2009 income as a wage earner at $22,000.00 (this is taxed with a W-2) for 2009. The time the business was open shows little to no income. My original plan was to sell assets and pay IRS then deal with ex wife later. Would this idea be better.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 7 years ago.

First, in order to be deductible, alimony must be paid by cash or check. (see link below)

The disposal of the assets must be reported at their fair market value any gain would be taxable to you if the adjusted basis is less than the value on the date of transfer.