RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..

What tax increase can I expect by moving to NYC from NJ

I currently live and work in NJ and am considering a move to NYC, but I am weary of it due to the taxes, more specifically the city tax in Manhattan. With a salary of $175K how much of my income can I expect to disappear due to the city tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

Note that the below figures are fair estimate of the tax liability-

Presuming that you file as Single in NJ with no other deductions considered - your NJ state tax for income of $175K will be $8,900 appx.

Presuming similar situation in NY - your tax liabilty will be $17,400 (this will include appx.$5800 in NY City tax)

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.