Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer
Experience:  7 years tax preparation. IRS Registered Tax Preparer.
9660727

Please explain the office in home deduction. Who can use it

Customer Question

Please explain the office in home deduction. Who can use it and when is it best to use. Are there times when its not advisable to use.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer Thank you for coming to Just Answer and allowing us to help you with your tax question. A home office deduction can be taken by a self-employed person who has no other work location or an employee if the home office is used for the convenience of the employer (not the employee). In order to qualify as a home office, an area must be used regularly and exclusively for business. The IRS carefully reviews the home office deduction and even a couch in the home office can cause the IRS to determine that the area is not used exclusively for business.

The home office deduction allows you to deduct the utilities, property tax, maintenance and other standard home expenses for the area of the home used as an office. This can be a large deduction and it is a deduction that the IRS considers to be abused frequently. Two things to be wary about when taking the home office deductions is that this deduction may trigger an audit and that, if you deduct depreciation on your home as part of your home office deduction, you may have to pay recapture tax when you sell the home.

Information I have received recently from the IRS suggests that in 2009, the home office deduction will be standardized (an amount I have heard is $1500 for every home office) and the IRS may not be as stringent about the rules. You may want to wait until the IRS sends out more information about these changes, before deciding whether to take the home office deduction.

I hope this information answers your questions. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer
Experience: 7 years tax preparation. IRS Registered Tax Preparer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jesse,on wednesday I have 27 questtions in taxation and I am willing to hire you to help me if possible.

Sure,Customer That will be great. I'll be looking for your questions. Thanks for coming to Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jesse,

How should I get the questions to you? I can send them by a word doc or through just answer. How much are you charging? Just a reminder, there are 27 questions involved. I would like to send them all at once if possible. What do you think?
Hello againCustomer You can attach a word document to a Just Answer post or you can either type each question into a separate posting or type all of the questions into one posting. You can use whichever method is easier for you. I can't be sure that I can answer all the questions until I look at them so I may have you repost some for other experts. Generally, in this category, the cost is $9 for each single question post for simple questions, but the cost is negotiable for this type of situation. I would think $50 for the whole thing with the understanding that if I need to refer a few questions to some of the other experts, they will want paid. I can't really tell until I see the questions. Does that price work for you? I am willing to negotiate if need be.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fifty dollars sounds good but I must be clear. These questions are questions for a practice quiz. I plan to start the quiz around 7pm today.
That shouldn't be any problem, but it depends on the questions. Do you need the answers by 7 pm? What time zone do you live in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in the eastern. I have a two hour window to complete them. Therefore, if I start at 7pm.est. I need to be done by 9pm est.
That shouldn't be a problem. Go ahead and post the questions in a new question, if you're okay with everything. You can send the questions to me by putting my name in the question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX send them to at 7.

Thanks. I'll be waiting for them.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jesse,

Will it be ok if I post the remaining after you are done with the 21 that I posted?
Yes, that will be fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How is it coming? Please send what you have.

The answers are posted under the other question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry but I don't see them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I got them. I will be back.
I'm not sure what is going on. I can see them in the other question. Try closing the other question and opening it again. If you're still having trouble seeing them, I can ask the programmer's to look at the question, but it will take longer than 7 o'clock.