Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I will be receiving a lump sum payment of $2500 for some contract

I will be receiving a lump sum payment of $2500 for some contract work on an upcoming paycheck. My current gross pay is 1241.49. I am paid semi-monthly. I currently claim 5 allowances. I would like to increase my allowances, but I'm not sure how high to go for this one pay period. Based on the W-4 worksheet, I could claim 10. I usually get a large refund, so I would like to increase this allowance as much as I can. Thanks!
Hello advisor,

You can claim as many exemptions as you want to on your W-4 form. Basically for each allowance that you claim, it will exclude an additional $3,700 from your annual income as being taxable. Broken down for semi-monthly payroll periods of 24 pay periods each year, that amounts to exclusing $142 from each paycheck for each additional allowance that you claim.

So if you want to exclude the entire $2,500 from tax, you would increase your exemptions by 17 for that one pay period.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you advisor.