How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband will be working in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor.

This answer was rated:

My husband will be working in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor.   Can you explain to us how the bona-fide resident tax exempt rule works? He plans on coming back to the states approx. every 3 months. ie ~ 60/90 days on 30 days off. This will be for an indefinate period... over 12 months.   Obviously the tax exclusion on the 1st $88,000 is one of the reasons he is accepting work there. The company he will be working for is not American. Please help!

The person may qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion - he/she should:
-- Work and reside outside the United States for at least 330 days during the year, or
-- Meet either the Bona Fide or Physical Presence tests.
To receive that exclusion - the taxpayer should file either form 2555 or 2555EZ.

Here are forms you likely need:

Please be aware that - the exclusion above will not affect self-employment taxes - only income taxes. Only earned income is excludable. For instance dividends, investment income, etc - are not excludable.

If the person qualifies, he/she may exclude up to $91,400 (2009 in foreign wages -

plus housing allowances (limited to 30% of the earned income exclusion).


You meet the bona fide residence test if you are a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year. To see if you meet the test of bona fide residence in a foreign country, you must find out if you have established such a residence in a foreign country. - See more details here -,,id=96960,00.html


I do not think that your husband is going to established a residence in Afghanistan (and it is likely that the IRS agent will not think so either)

So - to use the foreign earned income exclusion - your husband should be outside the US at least 330 days - he doesn't have to be in the same country of be outside the US for work - instead of coming back to the US - he may spend time - for instance - on vacation in Canada.

Let me know if you need help with reporting.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK... just trying to get a grasp on reality here. Generally what you have told me I'd already pulled from IRS pubs & other internet sites.


We've known several civilian contractors that claim they pay no taxes on the 1st $80 ~ however, come back into the states 2 or 3 times a year... so that would exclude the 330 days! We do know of 1 that previously came & went via Canada ~ Apparently this has stopped now due to the border Passport reqs?


Any additional loopholes here that we could look at?


Any additional info would be appreciated ~ Thanks!

Fortunately or unfortunately - we should relay on the IRS information.
You should not expect any information that contradict the information you obtained from IRS publications - if someone tells you otherwise - that would be at least suspicious...

If the person was outside the US less than 330 during the calendar year and the person did not established a permanent residence in the foreign country - such person do no qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion.
There is no limit on the number of visits to the US - but there is still a requirements to be in the foreign country not less than 330 days.

If you know someone who claimed the credit that he/she doesn't qualify - that doesn't necessary mean the person is doing so legally.
The IRS doesn't require to present any supporting documents unless the person gets audited. However if audited - supporting documents that proof qualification would be required.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience