How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is there a way to get a reduced settlement from a tax lein

Resolved Question:

is there a way to get a reduced settlement from a tax lein company such as Tax Ease Lein Investments 1, LLC
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for your question.


How much is the tax lien for?


On what date was the lien purchased by the company?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the tax lein is approximatly $1000.00 . the letter was sent out to me on 7/18/2008.
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

What I am confused about here is that you paid THEM 1900. I assume THEM is the person who purchased your tax lien.


The redemption period in Kentucky is 1 year, so if someone bought your lien for 1,000, and is collecting 1900 that is a very good return on their money. Typical tax liens in KY only bring 12% to the person who holds the lien.


If you paid the tax plus interest and penalties totalilng 1900 to the tax lein holder why are you not getting the property back?


What county is Madisonville in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I paid Kentucky the amount due before my deadline and they sold the tax leins anyway. Now the purchaser (Tax ease lein investments 1) is trying to get me to pay them for three tax leins that i feel i have already paid. could i get this amount reduced from the 1000.00 they want so i can get out of this without legal action and make everyone happy?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i cant pay you 20 dollars if you didn't answer my question. i guess it wasn't enough money for a good answer....
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.



I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.


This is not the case. I agreed to do it for the 20 dollars, and it is good enough for the best answer I can give.


If you still need an answer to this, please vefiy your county.


There is a special process for redemption and I need to make sure you followed the process correctly.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appologize for being rude. Im in Hopkins County Ky. This issue aggrivates me, because I feel as though I have already paid them. If there is anything else you need just let me know exactly and i can get you the information.
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Not a problem,


I understand how stressful this can be.


IN your country this is how the redemption period works:



Property sold at a tax sale is subject to a statutory right of redemption of one year. Interest averages between 16 and 36% per year.


Redemption Period: The delinquent taxpayer or any other person having or owning a legal interest in the real property covered by a certificate of delinquency may at any time up until enforced collection proceedings have been completed pay the total amount of the certificate to the purchaser (Sec. 134.480). If the collection proceedings result in a foreclosure sale of the real estate property, the delinquent taxpayer may redeem the real estate within one (1) year of the sale if the property is sold for less than two-thirds (2/3) of its appraised value, by paying the original purchase amount, and ten percent (10%) per year interest thereon (Sec. 134.490, Sec. 426.530).


If you paid the fees as you said then the property should have been redeemed. If you have not received title and release of the lein, then you need to see the country clerk to get the proper documents and your individual county process.


Your county does not make the process for redemption publically available.


Most counties and states require you to get a release of the Lien from the tax collector which may involve paying additional fees; and you may have to also file new title transfering ownership from the lein holder to you.


If you have met the redemption requirements as stated above, then you may be better off hiring a realestate attorney to handle this for you.




Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Ed Johnson and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions