Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I had a misunderstanding with my CPA concerning my federal

I had a misunderstanding with my CPA concerning my federal refund and 2 separate states (NY & CT) I owed and therefor failed to send in my payments on time. He e-filed my return but I'm wondering what I need to do in order to make my payments and find out about penalties or any trouble I might be in. Little help?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello BHR,

Do you owe federal tax as well as state tax to both NY and CT?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi! No, I got a 1300 refund from federal that was direct deposited into my checking account. I only owe CT 250 and NY 50 but for some reason I was made to understand that these would be debited from my federal refund and the remainder would be direct deposited. Major miscommunication.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

Thank you for the clarification. I understand now what you mean about the miscommunication.

You will simply need to mail your tax payment to each state along with the appropriate payment voucher. These vouchers should have been provided to you with your tax papers by your tax preparer, but here are links to the forms you will need.

In the state of CT, mail your check for payment along with Form CT-1040-V. Here is a link to that form and the mailing instructions.

http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/forms/2008forms/incometax/ct-1040v.pdf

In the state of NY, mail your check for payment along with Form IT-201-V. Here is a link to that form and the mailing instructions.

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/2008/fillin/inc/it201v_2008_fill_in.pdf

If it ends up that you owe either CT or NY a small amount of interest due to the late payment, they will send you a letter notifying you of any additional amount due, and you may remit the payment at that time.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer