Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I currently work part time for a small not for profit human

I currently work part time for a small not for profit human service company. Becuase of my husband's income, we are able to set aside a certain amount of money each year to make charitable contributions to organizations whose causes we believe in. My question is this: is it legal for me to make a contribution to the not for profit I work for and claim it on my income tax as a charitable contribution?.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello dogooder,

Yes, you may claim a deduction for contributions you made to your employer's organization, as long as it is a qualified organization and as long as you are making those contributions with your tax paid money.

In other words, you could not simply volunteer your time to work for them for no charge and classify the value of your time as a contribution. But if they are paying you as a regular employee and you are reporting that income and paying taxes on that income, then you may claim a deduction for any contribution you make to that organization.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you dogooder.