Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

H&r block filed my taxes they filled out a 40NR form using

Customer Question

H&r block filed my taxes they filled out a 40NR form using only my income even though i am married and they checked the married filing jointly box, i lived in alabama the whole year my husband is in the army and although he too lived in alabama he is considered a non resident the lady said that made me a non resident too, she said i would get back $496, i mailed in the return to get a correction by the state saying i owed $175 that all income had to be claimed even if it wasnt earned in Alabama who is right the state or H&r block, last year another cpa filled out a 40 form with only my income and i got a return with no problem please help also if the state is wrong how can i fix it and get a return
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello dodgecar,

H&R Block is the one who is wrong here.

If you are a resident of Alabama, then regardless of where your husband lives and regardless of where you earn your income, you must report all of your income to the state of Alabama.

If you are a resident of Alabama and earn your income in Alabama, then you will owe tax to Alabama on all of your income.

If you are a resident of Alabama but you work in another state, then you would owe state tax to the state you work in, but you would report that same income to Alabama. Alabama would then allow you a credit for the tax you paid to the state where you work.

But if you are a resident of Alabama, then regardless of where you work, you must report all of your income to Alabama.

You need to take the paperwork you received to H&R Block and ask to speak to a manager. It is possible they may reimburse you the fee you paid to have your taxes done.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you dodge.