Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I got a credit report. Under the Public Records section it

I got a credit report. Under the Public Records section it lists:      Recorder of Deeds - XXXXXXXXXXX - filing date of 04-08 - $683 - Tax Lien..... I have never owned anything and can not find out what this is, how it got there, what did "I" do... I would like to buy in the future but this does not look good. Please help me find out what is going on and where it came from? Do I need a lawyer? My mother passed 3 years ago, Could this have been something from her?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

It is possible this could have been something related to your mother, but only if you both jointly held any property.

Have you contacted the recorder of deeds office to try and find out what this pertains to?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I guess I need to know which county or State for that matter. I never signed anything with my mother to jointly own anything. I have had a few scares with fraud so I have ID theft inspection with wamu. ( waste of time and money) Mother died in Big Bear Ca. owned home there. My brother and I sold it and payed taxes. His lawyers say it's not from there... Can I use a good site for recorder of deeds? I keep getting run around sites that want memberships... lol tried that and got ripped off..
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Does the credit report itself not indicate which county and state this is from?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, that would be too easy. it just says public record items: reporting agency= recorder of deeds. under ownership it has XXXXXXXXXXX under filing date = 04-08 under balance amt = $683.   Account status = Tax lien                     
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

If the tax lien is from the recorder of deeds, then obviously it has something to do with real property that either you and/or possibly your mother owned. Assuming you do not own property in too many locations, you should probably just start by checking with the recorder of deeds in any county where you do own property to see if any liens exist.

It is very possible that someone here simply keyed in a wrong social security number and this was posted to your credit report in error.

Your other option here is to simply write a letter to the credit bureau to dispute the information. In accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the credit bureau must respond to you within 30 days with proof that the lien exists, or they must remove it from your record. If they remove it from your record, then everything will be fixed. If they respond to you with proof, then at least at that point you will know where this came from.

Without having specific information on which county is reporting this lien, this would be the only option open for you at this point.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank youCustomer

Merlo, Accountant
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for trying... I knew that part but was hoping for more.. Thank you again for your time.
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Thank youCustomer

Best of luck to you in getting this resolved.