Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I need to amend my taxes using a 1040x to include $3587 I sp

I need to amend my taxes using a 1040x to include $3587 I spent on college tuition last year. where do I make th change on a 1040x, is it a different number then 3587, and what should my explination be on the second page?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello neil,

On line 1 of the Form 1040X which is your adjusted gross income -- in column A you will list what you originally reported on your tax return. In Column b you will show the difference of $3,587 and in column c you will show the new amount.

Your explanation should simply be "Failed to claim the tuition and fees deduction credit".

You will also need to complete form 8917 for the Tuition and Fees credit and attach that to your Form 1040x.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you neil.