Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I have more carryover losses than I will ever be able to claim

I have more carryover losses than I will ever be able to claim in my lifetime if I can only claim $3000 per year. How can I realize any tax savings from this carryover fiasco?
Hello ridr,

Unfortunately, the only way you can utilize more than $3,000 per year in carryover losses, would be in a year that you also had capital gains.

Hopefully in future years you will have some gains from either selling stocks or property, and you could then use as much of the loss as you have to offset those gains.

Otherwise, if you have no capital gains in any given year, you are limited to the $3,000 per year write off.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you ridr.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
And I'm guessing then that no amount of income from a retirement check, or Social Security or IRAs can ever qualify to reduce my tax burden----$3000 a year is it?
If I never lose another cent, I'll die with many thousands of dollars of losses never credited
Hello again ndr,

Unfortunately, it is often the case that a taxpayer with a large loss ends up never being able to claim all of it in his lifetime.

The types of income you just mentioned such as social security and IRA's are all ordinary income, and the most you can offset of ordinary income is the $3,000 per year limit. In order to use anything over and above that amount, it must be used to offset capital gain income, such as the sale of stocks or property.

Thank you again ridr, and let me know if you have more questions.