How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Merlo Your Own Question

Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother sold me a house for 10.00 it was titiled to me

Customer Question

My mother sold me a house for 10.00 it was titiled to me   5 years ago. She lived in the house and it was written up she could stay there tell the day she died. I never paided the tax and all bills went to her. She has now died and I am wondering if I have to pay capital gains tax or is there a way to somehow say it was a gift. I had it titiled only for medicare protection.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Do you plan on now selling this home or do you plan to keep it and live there?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We plan to sell it are residency is in Ca. the house is in Ark.
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

I am afraid that due to the way this house transfer was handled, the only way that you would avoid or reduce any capital gains tax is if you kept the home for at least 2 years and used it to live in as your main home.

Here is the problem with the way this was done. If you would have received this home as an inheritance, then you would have received a full stepped up basis in the home. What that means is that your new basis in the home would have been whatever the fair market value was of the home on the day your mother passed away. If you sell property shortly after it is inherited, then your selling price is usually the same or very close to your stepped up basis, so you really end up with little or no gain to pay tax on.

You did not receive this property through inheritance. Basically your mother gave you this home as a gift. Even though there was a sale price listed of $10, that is not conseuqential here. When you acquire property through gifting, the person receiving the gift retains the same basis as the donor. That means that your basis in this home is whatever your mother originally paid for this home, plus the cost of any capital improvements she may have made during the time she owned the home. If you now sell the home, you would owe capital gains tax on any gain you had from the selling price, less your basis. Since your basis is the same as your mother's original basis, your gain here will obviously be substantially higher than if you had inherited the property and received the stepped up basis.

Taxpayers who sell their primary residence can exclude $250,000 (or $500,000 if married filing a joint return) from any gain they have on the sale. To be considered your primary residence, you must have owned the home for at least 2 years and you must live in the home for at least 2 of the last 5 years preceeding the sale. You have owned the home for 5 years, so you meet the ownership part of the test. But to meet the "use" part of the test, you would actually have to live in the home for 2 years before putting it up for sale. If you did that, then when you sold the home you could exclude either the $250,000 or $500,000 from the gain before any additional gain would be subject to tax.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer and let me know if you have more questions.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience