How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29535
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother and father are going to claim me next year on their

This answer was rated:

My mother and father are going to claim me next year on their taxes. I have a son and I was wondering how them claiming me would affect when I file my taxes next year. Right now I have a deduction of 3 on my W4, but since my parents are claiming me should I change the amount of my deductions to less? I want to try and figure out how me filing my taxes and claiming my son, while my father's going to claim me on his taxes is going to effect me.

Please verify following:

  • are you married or single?
  • what is your age?
  • are you a full time student?
  • what is your gross annual income?
  • are you living with your parents?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am single, 24 years old, not a full time student, my gross annual income last years was about $20,000, and I am living with my parents


please see below rules for claiming a dependent.

According to these rules your parents are not eligible to claim your as a dependent.

You need to file your own tax return.

Let me know if you need any help.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Now can they claim my son? Because now that's what they want to do, we both lived with them.

If your son lived with you and with your parents - your son is a qualified child for either of you - and you may decide who will claim the child.

If you both agree that your parents will claim your son - they may do so.


Let me know if you need any help with reporting.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions