TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken

My 1040X shows a 0 balance. Nothing due to the gov. and nothing

Customer Question

My 1040X shows a 0 balance. Nothing due to the gov. and nothing due me. Is this an audit flag?
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 5 years ago.
Customer

What did you put on your amended return that was different from your original return?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Additional 1099. Mileage decuction from schedule c.

Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 5 years ago.
How much was the 1099 and how much were the deductions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

8600 1099 and 31000 sales miles driven since I am on the road all the time.

Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 5 years ago.
Customer

No one is quite sure exactly what raises a red flag and what doesn't. While the IRS might not question your earnings and mileage, they may question someone else with very similar figures. Having a 0 balance due/refund on a 1040X is not particularly suspicious. People amend their returns with a 0 balance due/refund all the time. What really matters is what's changed from the original return.

I would, just in case, keep handy the logs that you should have kept, documenting your mileage. As long as you can provide a mileage log, showing each particular day you drove for the company and your mileage driven, you will be covering yourself from any further questioning pertaining to this 1099 and mileage expense. Also, you may be proving yourself credible for future years if you happen to have similar situations.

I cannot tell you I think you will be audited or I think you won't be. Audits are very random and people are audited for different types of things. Hold on to all your tax documents, receipts, log books, and you will protect yourself in the event of an audit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Experience: 7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, my mileage log are scattered and I am reconstruction them to the best of my ability due to an eviction and move. So, would an examiner slam me or disallow the deduction. The return is fairly simple with me as a sales person, deduction for 2 kids an thats it.

Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 5 years ago.
If you try to recreate it as accurately as possible, they may allow it. In many cases, the IRS does not send out letters immediately. You should have time to go to the company and see if they kept a log of places they sent you to help you more accurately recreate the records.