How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, i am a self employed contractor from PA (in the the

Resolved Question:

Hello, i am a self employed contractor from PA (in the the heating and air conditioning field). I have 1 employee. Please give me a somewhat detailed list of all quarterly taxes i have to pay, the amounts in a percentage, and a short description of what the taxes actually are if possible. Thanks!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

As self-employed - you need to pay estimate taxes to the IRS

form 1040-ES - - see due dates on the page 2; amounts are based on your estimated tax liability and divided equally.

and to PA DOR

form REV-413i -


Employment taxes:

federal income tax withholding

PA state income tax withholding - 3.07% -

FICA - social security 6.2% (up to wages $106,800 for 2009) and Medicare 1.45% taxes - each employer and employee.

FUTA - federal unempoloyment tax - 6.2% less credit for contributions to state funds up to 5.4% on first $7000 of annual wages.

SUI - state unemployment insurance (SUI) - paid to Department of Labor and Industry - rates range from 1.837% to 13.4784% (new employers should use 3.703% except construction employers)

SUI employee rate - 0.06% for 2008 is withheld from gross wages.


You generally must withhold federal income tax from your employees' wages. Employment taxes are paid to the IRS - to figure how much to withhold from each wage payment, use the employee's Form W-4 and the methods described in Publication 15, Employer's Tax Guide and Publication 15-A, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide .


You withhold part of Social Security and Medicare taxes from your employees' wages and you pay a matching amount yourself. Withholding FICA tax rate is 6.2% for social security (up to )and 1.45% for Medicare. Both - employee and employer pay same amounts.


You report and pay FUTA tax separately from Federal Income tax, and Social Security and Medicare taxes. You pay FUTA tax only from your own funds. Employees do not pay this tax or have it withheld from their pay.


In general, you must deposit income tax withheld, both the employer and employee Social Security and Medicare taxes (minus any advance EIC payments), and FUTA tax by depositing electronically, mailing or delivering a check, money order, or cash to a financial institution that is an authorized depositary for federal taxes using Form 8109-B. You can also make your deposits using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). Some taxpayers are required to deposit using the EFTPS. See Publication 15, Employer's Tax Guide, under How to Deposit - Electronic Deposit Requirement.


In general, employers are responsible to report federal Income Taxes, Social Security, and Medicare taxes on Form 941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return and Instructions .

Employers who have an employment tax liability of $1,000 or less for the year may file Form 944, Employer's Annual Federal Tax Return and Instructions , instead of Form 941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return. Eligible taxpayers will be notified by mail.

Report FUTA taxes on Form 940, Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return and Instructions .


City and school district income taxes and occupational privilege taxes - to obtain local tax forms or for assistance completing your local tax return, please contact your local tax collector directly. -


Let me know if you need any help.


Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help, i will look into your answer tomorrow further.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience