Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

How long do you have to live in Texas to file as resident of

How long do you have to live in Texas to file as resident of Texas. For example, I live in Kansas but am expecting a lump payout next Feb on a invention I sold. Am hoping to move to Texas to avoid State tax on the income. If I can save myself from paying state taxes I would gladly become a Texas resident. We have been wanting to move there for a long time but have gotten stuck here with Mom in the rest home.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

There is no "waiting time" to establish a new residence. As long as you move to Texas - you need to establish a new residence on the same day.

You will get TX driving license, voting registration, change license plates on your cars, switch all your utility bill addresses, etc - that all together with some other attributes will be a change of your residency.

You would need to file tax return for Kansas as part time resident.