Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

How do I find out my old business tax number to prove I had

How do I find out my old business tax number to prove I had a business?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

According to IRS -,,id=108532,00.html

Q. What if I forget the number I obtained over the Internet?
A. IRS records will be updated immediately with your EIN. Simply call (800)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong> and select EIN from the list of options. Once connected with an IRS employee, tell the assistor you received an EIN from the Internet but can't remember it. The IRS employee will ask the necessary disclosure and security questions prior to providing the number.,,id=155444,00.html

If you previously applied for and received an EIN for your business, but have since misplaced it, try any or all of the following actions to locate the number:

• Find the computer-generated notice that was issued by the IRS when you applied for your EIN. This notice is issued as a confirmation of your application for, and receipt of an EIN.
  • If you used your EIN to open a bank account, or apply for any type of state or local license, you should contact the bank or agency to secure your EIN.
  • Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at(NNN) NNN-NNNN The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are authorized to receive it. If you are not a person authorized to receive this information, a confirmation letter can be mailed to the taxpayer at the address of record.