Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I need to find out if my taxes have been filed

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello ava,

What tax year are you talking about?

Was someone supposed to file your taxes for you or how is it that you do not have this information?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
tax year of 2008. yes someone was suppose to file my tax return and now I can't get inttouch with them
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again ava,

Thank you for the clarification.

Were you expecting a refund for 2008 or do you think you will owe money?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will receive a refund for the year of 2008
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello ava,

The only way that you can check to see if your return has been filed is by calling the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNN There is an option you can select for account information. After entering your social security number you would then be connected to someone who can tell you if they show that your return has been received.

If your return was just filed in the last day or two or if it was mailed rather than e-filed, then the IRS may not have it yet or may not have it in their system, so even calling for this information may not be 100% accurate.

There is no where on line or on the IRS website where this information can be obtained. If you had a refund coming, the IRS does have a website where you can check the status of your refund, but you would need some figures from your tax return in order to use that function, and obviously you do not have that information. So calling them would be the only way to find out, other than getting this information from the person who was supposed to file your returns.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Tahnk you.